Music Technology Lessons
Lessons © K. Garrett, www.musictechteacher.com
* Students will learn the names of the lines and spaces in the bass clef (G-B-D-F-A and A-C-E-G).
* Students will complete a quiz about bass clef lines and spaces from our website.
* To complete one or two pages in the Alfred Basic Piano Library Level 1A (varies based on student level).
Alfred 1A Piano Books, keyboards and related equipment, computers with our website posted, video / projection equipment.
1) Introduce the names of the four spaces in the bass clef (A-C-E-G). Introduce the names of the five lines in the bass clef (G-B-D-F-A). Use Sibelius software with the notes on the bass staff to demonstrate the notes on each line and space. Use the projection screen to move the notes onto alternate lines and spaces (notes drill) while students name the notes. After the students are successful at identifying the notes, direct students to play the Bass Invaders music quiz on our website (Bass Invaders Quiz) or play the Bass Clef Baseball quiz (Bass Clef Baseball).
2) Complete various pages in the Alfred Basic Piano Library Book 1 based on individual student progress. Video tape (digital camera) some of the students and post it immediately using the projector for review and feedback.
3) If time allows, students may use Sibelius software to practice entering notes in the bass clef onto the computer. They may also try to complete a short notation project using notes in the bass clef.
Ask students to notice...
* Are the notes on the lines and spaces of the bass clef in the same order as notes in the treble clef?
* What ‘saying’ is used to help remember the names of the lines / spaces in the bass clef? (Good Boys Do Fine Always / All Cows Eat Grass).
* What hand is (generally) used to play the notes in the bass clef? (Left)
Students successfully identify the lines and spaces in the bass clef staff.
Students complete the bass clef quizzes on our website and receive a score of 80 or higher.
Students complete the assigned pages in the Alfred Basic Piano Book.